Crater deaconry departiment issestablished under the guidance of the Bible Verses Acts 6:1-8, 1 Timothy 3:8-13 and Rom. 16:1-2 involves a wide range of services for the church and some of the duties are shared between the Deacons and Deaconesses , including:
- Assistance at Services and Meetings—Deacons/Deaconesses are usually responsible for welcoming members and visitors as they enter the church and for assisting them, where necessary, to find seats. They also cooperate with the pastor and elders for smooth functioning of all meetings.
- Visitation of Members—In many churches visitation is arranged by distributing membership by districts and assigning a deacon/deaconesses to each district with the expectation that he will visit each home at least once a quarter.
- Preparation for Baptismal Services—Deacons/Deaconesses make necessary preparations for baptismal services. (See p. 49.)
- Assistance at Communion Service—At the celebration of the ordinance of foot-washing, the deacons or deaconesses provide everything needed for the service, such as towels, basins, water, and buckets. After the service they see that the utensils and linen are washed and properly stored. Remaining bread and wine should not be consumed, but disposed of in a respectful manner by deacons and deaconesses following the Lord’s Supper.
- Care of the Sick and Aiding the Poor and Unfortunate—Deacons and deaconesses are charged with assisting the sick, poor, and unfortunate and should keep the church informed of their needs and enlist the support of members. Money should be provided for this work from the fund for the poor and needy. The treasurer, on recommendation from the board, will pass over to the deacons or deaconesses whatever may be needed for use in needy cases.
- Care and Maintenance of Property—In churches where the responsibility for the care and maintenance of church property is not assigned to a building committee, deacons and deaconesses have this responsibility.